Monday, December 05, 2005

Sing a song of six pence...

I love the fact that our culture is so deeply into music. Every occasion has a song associated to with it and every region has their own style of music. I really love this about Indians... but what I don't get is the fact that Indians are obsessed with making other people sing.

Everytime you are on the radio, in a party, in any kind of spotlight people want you to sing...
"Sir, one song sir"
"Sir, please sir"
"Sir, one stanza sir"
"Sir, come on, sir"
"Sir, one line, sir"
"Sir sir please"
"Sir one note .... you start and we'll all join you"

How many Indians haven't faced this kind of predicament before??!!! I mean, come on, some people don't want to sing people ( and most can't... yours truly heads that list ;)). I couldn't sing to save my life... and I wouldn't sing to save the little bit of self-respect I still enjoy.

3 comments:

Neo said...

True... and antakshari is our national friggin passtime! I hate it! And all my folks do it! There was this time when I was forced to sing 'kahin door jab din dhal jaaye' from the film Anand, and the friggin dog started barking. I KNOW I'm bad at this, and I convey as much! But no, just try no... one song... you're pretty good at this! Crap! Some of these things just piss me off to no end man. By the way, what prompted you to post this? Something disastrous happened recently, eh? :D

Aditya Baliga said...

No man ... just listening to the radio recently and this stupid RJ was cajoling this dumass to sing ... and as expected he brayed out an Anu Malik number... God it was painful...

Anonymous said...

hi!

just chanced upon your blog..

i can empathize with you buddy.. :)
even I cant sing for nuts..
but people do it all the time... boy!! i do feel like pulling my hair..

-enig